Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The First Month at Site

(Written on 9/24)

Hard to believe that it has already been near a month that I’ve been at site. The pace of time has steadily increased since the first week or two here where it seemed to drag a bit. I’m sure as I continue to feel more comfortable here time will continue its expedited pace.

Skeptical child is skeptical
A lot has happened within this month despite how quickly it has flown by. The first two weeks or so were filled with lots of downtime and a myriad of small frustrations as I adjusted to the community and they adjusted to me. It was quite a change of pace as PST was filled with a perpetually busy schedule and by the time it was over, I was rather comfortable with the pace. Leaving my host family and Bo to come to a much smaller village with a lot less accommodations and things to do was a big transition. However, as I developed a routine here things got easier. I started going to the market on a near daily basis to get things to cook, I've spent much of my time with Mohamed – a teacher’s nephew who is also new to the village – who has been extremely helpful in navigating my integration, and I've spent some time hanging out with my fellow teachers.

A typical bag of groceries
At first, school was scheduled to start the second week at site but the government for some odd reason decided to push it back a week. When that week rolled around, as is typical in Sierra Leone, students and staff showed up sporadically and there was little in the way of teaching going on. The students that did show up mostly spent the day cleaning and preparing the classrooms while I helped with what I could (but mostly passed the time by browsing the internet and reading Game of Thrones). This week has been the effective start of school though it is still quite chaotic. The principal has been quite busy and has yet to come up with the time table so we as teachers don’t have defined times for when we are to teach. Instead we are to introduce our subject and ourselves this week to the classes we will be teaching so real teaching can begin next week. The problems of the Sierra Leone education system are definitely becoming more and more apparent as time goes on. In addition to attendance issues, one of the classes I’ll be teaching – SSS1 (or the equivalent of 9th grade) – has yet to show up to school. This is due to the BECE; the entrance exam to high school that the government takes an inordinate amount of time to officially grade. The test is extremely tedious and, in my opinion, a terrible judge of where students should be in terms of their education. I’m not sure exactly where the blame lies but the fact that grading the exam cuts into the precious little time that students do have to attend class seems a bit ridiculous.
Mohamed messing around with my camera
Rice paddies at my site
Things aren’t all bad though. During this first month, many people have approached me about potential projects in which I could pursue in my two years here. This has been a major relief as I falsely believed that Eric’s prolific body of work had left me little to accomplish here. The ideas have ranged from animal husbandry, building a clinic and latrines, expanding the teachers living quarters, helping the school expand into SSS3 and SSS4, bringing internet to the library, helping to restore the nonfunctioning hydroelectric dam in town, and a lot more. I hope that in my two years here I can help the community realize some of these dreams.

A rice paddy after a storm
There is still a long way to go however. While the village is starting to grow on me, I still feel a bit like a museum exhibit at times. Largely I feel like I'm glanced over as a serious member of the community as I haven’t grown up in this environment my entire life. Hopefully as time marches on and I develop relationships with the community this will change. As for now I’m trying to take it one step at a time and enjoy the small successes. Hard to believe it’s already been 4 months in Sierra Leone… Hope everyone is doing well back home. I would love to hear from you all if you get the chance.
A sunny day at site
Rice paddies in a nearby village

No comments:

Post a Comment